This guide explains and illustrates* how to set up a very useful, free service from Google.
Google Search Console captures information about the actual words & phrases that people searched when your website appeared as a result in Google, and also helps identify any problems with the site that may need attention.
In order to set it up, you’ll first need to create a free Google account if you don’t have one already. Note that if you use a Gmail / Google Workspace email address, this means you already have a Google account – there’s no need to create an additional one.
1. Open Google Search Console here, then (if it’s the first time you’ve used this tool) click the blue Start now button.
2. Sign in using your preferred Google account in the top-right corner of the page, or if you arrive directly at step 3 below, check you are signed into the appropriate Google account you want to use.
3. Enter your website’s domain (e.g. mybusinessname.com) in the Domain section on the left, then click CONTINUE.
4. You should then see the below verification message prompt (if you don’t, and you arrive directly at step 8 or 9 below, then your domain is already verified). Click the COPY button, then paste it into either your Basecamp project message board or send it to us by email to firstname.lastname@example.org). We will then set add this record into your DNS for you (assuming we already have access to make changes for you – we’ll let you know if we don’t have this yet). If you’d prefer to do it yourself, that’s fine too of course.
5. We will reply back to you once we’ve added the TXT record to your DNS and there has been time for the update to flow through the network – this should generally be within 24 hours.
6. Once you’ve received this confirmation from us, reopen Google Search Console and click the “Already started? Finish verification” link at the bottom of the window, then select the property (i.e your domain name).
7. Click the VERIFY button, and you should see a message confirmation that ownership has been verified.
8. Click the GO TO PROPERTY link.
9. Click the Settings tab on the left, then Users and permissions.
10. Click the blue ADD USER button.
11. Enter email@example.com then make sure Full permission is selected and click ADD.
12. Send a brief message to us in Basecamp or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know that you’ve added us to your Search Console account – as Google doesn’t send us a notification email about this automatically, as of the time of writing this article.
That’s it – all done!
As always – if you have any questions about any of this, feel free to ask and we’ll be happy to help!
* Please note: Google periodically updates the appearance & layout of their tools. We aim to keep this guide up to date, but please let us know if anything seems significantly different when you follow these steps.