This guide explains and illustrates* how to set up two very useful, free services from Google.
Google Analytics captures lots of insightful information about the number of people visiting the website, where they’re located in the world, the length of time they browse the website and which pages are most popular etc.
Google Search Console captures information about the actual words & phrases that people searched when your website appeared as a result in Google, and also helps identify any problems with the site that may need attention.
In order to setup both services, you’ll first need to create a free Google account. If you use a Gmail / G Suite email address however, this means you already have a Google account – there’s no need to create an additional one.
1. Go to the Google account sign up page then fill in your details and follow the instructions.
2. Open Google Analytics here then click the Google profile icon in the upper right corner of the window (shown in the image below), and select the Google account you’d like to associate with your new Google Analytics account.
3. Click the Sign up button.
4. On the next page (shown in the images below):
a) Enter an Account Name (e.g. your company name).
c) Click the blue Next button.
d) Leave the Web option selected, then click Next again.
e) Enter the Website Name (e.g. your company name again – or any other name of your choice).
f) Enter your Website URL and select either http:// or https:// from the dropdown menu on the left. If you’re not sure if your website is HTTPS (i.e. secure) yet, see our related article about SSL certificates here.
g) Select the Industry Category that’s most relevant to your business (it doesn’t matter if it’s not a close match – and if you prefer, just select “Other”) and your Reporting Time Zone.
h) Select your Reporting Time Zone settings.
i) Click the blue Create button.
j) Choose your country of residence from the menu, tick the box to accept the Data Processing Terms, then click I Accept.
2. After signing into Google Analytics here, click Admin at the bottom of the menu on the left.
3. Click the Create Property button in the middle column (see below).
4. Follow the steps from the How to set up Google Analytics for the first time section above (except for the step where you would enter an Account Name – as this already exists in your account).
5. Click Admin again, at the bottom of the menu on the left (as shown in the image in the section above).
6. If you have more than one website being tracked within your Google Analytics account, ensure that the correct website (i.e. the one you want to share access to) is selected from the list at the top of the Property column.
7. Click User Management in the middle column:
8. Click the blue + button at the top right of the window, to start adding the erjjio team as a user:
9. Enter our email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
10. Make sure the option to Notify new users by email is checked.
11. Tick the option to provide us with permission to Edit (this will automatically tick the Collaborate and Read & Analyse options too – leave these ticked).
12. Click the blue Add button at the top.
13. Open Google Search Console here then click the blue Start now button.
14. Make sure you’re signed into your correct Google account (the same one you used for Google Analytics above) using the account switcher in the top-right corner of the page.
15. Enter your website’s domain (e.g. mybusinessname.com) in the Domain section on the left, then click CONTINUE.
16. Click the COPY button then paste this into an email and send it to us at email@example.com. We will then set this up on your domain for you. If we don’t already have your domain name provider login details, please provide this information in your email too.
17. We will reply back to you once we’ve added the TXT record to your domain and there has been time for the update to flow through the network – this should generally be within 24 hours.
18. Once you’ve received this confirmation from us, reopen Google Search Console and click the “Already started? Finish verification” link at the bottom of the window, then select the property (i.e your domain name).
19. Click the VERIFY button, and you should see a message confirmation that ownership has been verified.
20. Click the GO TO PROPERTY link.
21. Click the Settings tab on the left, then Users and permissions.
22. Click the blue ADD USER button.
23. Enter firstname.lastname@example.org then make sure Full permission is selected and click ADD.
24. Send a brief message to us in Basecamp or email us at email@example.com to let us know that you’ve added us to your Search Console account (as Google doesn’t send us a notification email about this automatically, as of the time of writing this article).
That’s it – all done!
As always – if you have any questions about any of this, feel free to ask and we’ll be happy to help!
* Please note: Google periodically updates the appearance & layout of their tools. We aim to keep this guide up to date, but please let us know if anything seems significantly different when you follow these steps.
Interested in helpful tips, news and exclusive offers?
Join our newsletter and we'll keep you in the loop!