This guide explains and illustrates* how to set up a very useful, free service from Google.
Google Analytics captures lots of insightful information about the number of people visiting the website, where they’re located in the world, the length of time they browse the website and which pages are most popular etc.
In order to set it up, you’ll first need to create a free Google account. Note that if you use a Gmail / Google Workspace email address, this means you already have a Google account – there’s no need to create an additional one.
Go to the Google account sign up page then fill in your details and follow the instructions.
1. Open the Google Analytics login page here then login using the Google account you’d like to associate with your new Google Analytics account.
2. Once you’re logged in, click the Start measuring button.
3. On the next page (shown in the images below):
a) Enter an Account Name (e.g. your company name).
c) Click the blue Next button.
d) In the Property name field, enter your website name (or any other name of your choice).
e) Click the Next button.
f) Answer the questions about your industry category, business size and goals.
g) Click the blue Create button.
4. Tick the box to accept Google’s terms, then click the I Accept button.
5. Opt into any email communications if you’re interested in them, then click Save.
6. Click the Web button.
7. Select either http:// or https:// (usually the latter) from the dropdown menu on the left, then enter your Website URL and name. If you’re not sure if your website is HTTPS (i.e. secure) yet, see our related article about SSL certificates here.
8. Click the Create stream button.
9. The MEASUREMENT ID on the right-hand side is the code that will be added to your website in order to begin tracking data.
10. At this stage, you can either:
1. After signing into Google Analytics here, click Admin at the bottom of the menu on the left.
2. Click the blue + Create Property button
3. Follow steps 3d) onwards from the How to set up Google Analytics (for the first time) section of this article above.
1. Click Admin again, at the bottom of the menu on the left (as shown in the image in the section above).
2. If you have more than one website being tracked within your Google Analytics account, ensure that the correct website (i.e. the one you want to share access to) is selected from the list at the top of the Property column.
3. Click Property Access Management in the middle column.
4. Click the blue + button at the top right of the window, then Add users.
5. Enter our email address: email@example.com
6. Make sure the option to Notify new users by email is ticked.
7. Select the Editor option.
8. Click the blue Add button at the top.
That’s it – all done!
As always – if you have any questions about any of this, feel free to ask and we’ll be happy to help!
* Please note: Google periodically updates the appearance & layout of their tools. We aim to keep this guide up to date, but please let us know if anything seems significantly different when you follow these steps.